I’m excited for the weather to warm up. Are you!?
This year’s Winter has brought us snow, snow and more snow! With Spring being here we can finally see light at the end of the tunnel. You should be excited I sure am, but what we all need to remind ourselves of is that with warm weather brings melting snow, which in return brings lots of water. This water accumulation on land that is usually dry is referred to as “Overland Water.” According to SGI, water damage claims made up 60% of the claims being reported last year. It is important to educate yourself on whether your policy covers overland water as this can differ between insurance companies and between products in the same company. SGI’s homeowners package gives the option to add a water protection endorsement to protect you from flood, surface water, ground water and sewer back up. Whereas tenants packages do not offer overland water protection coverage as an option.
The foundation and roof of your home are important areas to monitor during this time. Check out these tips to avoid water damage happening to your home.
- Carefully remove the snow off your roof only when safe to do so
- Direct downspouts away from the foundation and away from walking areas as this could create ice
- Keep gutters free of debris, snow and ice.
- Check for icicles on your roof, this is a clear sign that ice dams may have formed
- Shovel snow away from the foundation of your home and off of window ledges
Check out a breakdown of SGI’s Water Protection Coverage and contact your insurance broker today to ensure you know what kind of water damage you are covered for and what you would like to be covered for! Don’t let water damage ruin your Spring!
Back to top